Why I believe

​Why I Believe in Jesus Christ

When I was young, I don’t think I could have told you that I believed in Jesus Christ. I was raised by good and loving parents who taught me right from wrong. My mom would talk about Jesus, but family discussions about church and God were not frequent in our home. My dad never went to church and my mom was a Christmas and Easter church goer. But I know they believed in Christ and every summer they would put me in Vacation Bible School. I would learn songs and have lessons focused on Jesus. And even though I didn’t know it at the time, I believe my young testimony of Christ started from that experience every summer. 

As an adult, Rich and I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints as a young married couple. And my testimony of Christ blossomed from there.

So now, I feel like I really can answer the question I was asked to speak about: Why do I believe in Jesus Christ?

I could share reasons for my testimony for a very long time, but I don’t have a long time to speak today, so I want to focus on the influence the scriptures have been in building and sustaining my testimony of Christ,

One scripture that comes to mind is in John Chapter 8. A woman was taken in adultery and is brought before Christ. We know the story _ Christ tells her accusers, “He that is without sin, let him first cast a stone at her.” And they all went away. Then Christ spoke to the woman, “Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?” She said, “No man, Lord.” Jesus responded, “Neither do I condemn thee, go thy way and sin no more.”

This scripture is powerful to me in building my faith because it illustrates so beautifully the mercy of Jesus Christ and how He knows, understands, and loves us.

And I’ve experienced this mercy of Christ in my own life. When my daughter Tricia was born, she had a serious heart defect. The doctors thought she would need open heart surgery and may not live past age 8. We decided that Rich should give her a blessing. 

Rich prayed fervently, unsure that he had the faith for so significant a task, but the Lord spoke peace to his heart and he was able to bless our daughter with confidence in the Lord. In the blessing, Tricia was promised that the heart defect “would be of  of no consequence” to her in her life. 

Six months later, the doctors did more tests to check Tricia’s heart and to their surprise, the defect had healed itself. The doctor said in strong, clear tones that her heart issue “would be of no consequence,” the exact words from the blessing. I know the Lord’s love and mercy were being showered upon us and our daughter. How could I doubt after that that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father know us and love us and want to bless us.

The scriptures truly do testify of Christ and one scripture in particular has been a consistent reminder to me of Christ. My daughter calls it, “Mom’s theme scripture.” Proverbs Chapter 3, verse 5: “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding.”

My faith is straight forward. I don’t worry about complexities of spiritual things. And that’s because the experiences I’ve had have taught me over and over that my Savior and Heavenly Father are there for me. I don’t feel like I have to know and understand everything - because they do. When I’m not sure what to do? They know. When I don’t know how to help or comfort someone in my family - the Lord will help me know what to do or say. I can trust in the Lord with all MY heart and not rely only on my own  understanding. And that is a thought that continually comforts and strengthens me.

I want to close with one last scripture -John chapter 15 verse 13, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

In my life, I have learned to rely on Jesus Christ - as my brother, my friend, and my Savior. Because of Him - because of His sacrifice - I am able to return to my Heavenly Father. Because of Him, I can be together forever with my family. Because of Him, I am strong even when I’m weak. 

Because of all these things, I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ, I honor His name and express my love for Him.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.





.

One u

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ok, the next few are some Army stories

I am not a speck

Second Eight and deployment