Yesterday, I told the Primary children I could see their mouths moving, so I knew they were singing, but I couldn't hear them. (They sing SUPER soft!) One 8 year old boy raised his hand: "Sister Meyers, I know why you can't hear us." Me: "Why do you think?" The boy (who is the son of a doctor): "When people get old they can't hear anymore and they can't see very well anymore either. And that's not me saying that -- it's a fact!" Whenever I forget I'm old, one of the Primary children is always quick to remind me : )
BACK GROUND As you probably already know, my life changed at the age of 11 when my mother passed away and about 9 months later my dad married Della Parks. My sister Jean came down from Lansing in January for a couple of months to keep house for us. In February dad and I were in an auto accident and my jaw was broken in 4 places and my tenth were knocked loose. I was in Foot Hospital for a week and it was decided to move me to the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor to try to fix my jaw and teeth. My jaw had already started to heal so they had to break it again to put it together right. So with braces on my teeth and my jaw wired shut and a bandage around my head, I came home with a bandage around my head and one missing tooth on the left side, which I could fit a straw thru to receive liquids. My menu consists of baby food, warm milk, grape juice, water that vegetables were cooked in and eggnog. I couldn’t stand the eggnog so my darling sister Jean took out the nutm...
When I think of all the billions and billions of people who have been and will be on this earth, I think of little me a speck hidden behind the crowd. Not good enough to stand out to be seen by Heavenly Father or the Savior. But I know better because they see all of us, and know each of us. They see our faults and weaknesses and love us anyway. What helps me, to remind me of my worth is the song, “ I Stand All Amazed At The Love Jesus Offers Me”. That brings home to me the love and suffering that he went through for me. For me, a sinner He suffered and bled and died. All I can do is try to be like Him and love like Him and try to be the best me I can for Him.
In basic training I forgot the worst part, KP. Kitchen Patrol, during the 8 weeks of training I was assigned KP 3 times. They get you up at 2 AM to report to the cooks at 2:30. The first time I was the last one in line and got the last and worst job. They had seven assignments, two people for the dining room, two cooks helpers, two for washing and drying trays and silverware and a pots and pans man. Well, I got pots and pans man. From 2:30 AM until 11:00 PM I washed greasy pots and pans and while learning how to do it right I had some do overs. When you are feeding 200 people three times a day you have a lot of pots and pans, big ones. So the second time I got KP I was the first one in line and hoped for a better assignment. I walked in the door and was met by one of the cooks and he asked me if I had been there before and I said yes looking forward to, mabye a dining room assignment. He asked me what job I ...
šš
ReplyDeleteLove you, pops! I feel like I recognize that comment.... :)
ReplyDeleteYesterday, I told the Primary children I could see their mouths moving, so I knew they were singing, but I couldn't hear them. (They sing SUPER soft!) One 8 year old boy raised his hand: "Sister Meyers, I know why you can't hear us." Me: "Why do you think?" The boy (who is the son of a doctor): "When people get old they can't hear anymore and they can't see very well anymore either. And that's not me saying that -- it's a fact!" Whenever I forget I'm old, one of the Primary children is always quick to remind me : )
ReplyDeleteHey, I am too! haha
ReplyDelete